AHF’s Fellowship Circle is a 10-week by-application program designed by women of colour for early-career women of colour – a tailored and highly curated experience providing small group mentorship circles, webinars, fireside chats, and networking with leaders from top business and tech companies.
There are two ways you can get involved:
- Mentor: A woman of colour who is a manager or leader interested in paying it forward and mentoring early-career women of colour pursuing careers in business or tech. Mentors participate throughout the program in small mentorship circles. This is a recurring commitment.
- Ally: A person of any gender or race who is committed to active allyship and advancing women of colour talent in business or tech. Allies engage in an interactive session, discussion group, panel or networking session.
Together we are building a community with and for early-career women of colour to be future leaders in the workplace. This is your opportunity to pay it forward.
Important Dates for Winter Cohort:
- Applications open: October 23, 2020
- Applications close: Ongoing basis until spots filled
- Selected Mentors informed: Ongoing basis until spots filled
- Fellowship Circle Winter Cohort: January – March, 2021
Consider getting involved as a mentor if:
- You self-identify as a Black woman, Indigenous woman, or other woman of colour (i.e. Arab, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Latin American, South Asian, South East Asian, West Asian, East Asian, etc.) manager or leader based in Canada
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience in business or tech
- You are interested in mentoring early-career women of colour
- You commit to building trust and relationship with Fellows through participating in small mentorship circles throughout the program
- You wish to grow as an equitable leader by participating in our uniquely designed orientation and program that embeds a racial and gender equity lens (you will have access to all webinars, panels, fireside chats too!)
- You wish to grow your professional network and community
Consider getting involved as an active ally if:
- You are an active ally of any gender or race committed to the success of women of colour in business or tech
- You have a minimum 5 years of experience in the business or tech sector
- You commit to using your social capital and privilege to pay it forward by advancing early-career women of colour
- You wish to invest time in intentionally designed interactive sessions, discussion groups and panels to share your experiences in a positive and safe space
- You are invested in listening, learning and gaining unique insights about the experiences of early-career women of colour
How it Works
Why get involved?
We believe Canada is filled with ambitious and talented Black, Indigenous and other self-identifying women of colour (BIWoC) who have the power to advance their careers when given the resources, tools and community to be future leaders in the workplace.
Self-identifying Black, Indigenous and other women of colour starting out in their careers don’t always see themselves represented meaningfully in leadership positions or boards. This lack of representation and access makes it harder to see the possibilities at a pivotal time in their lives.
What’s more, AHF has connected with more than 200 early-career women of colour to better understand their career development and workplace experiences. The results were eye-opening. We heard that they lack meaningful access role models, influential networks, mentors and allies committed to their success. We also heard that they don’t know how best to develop their networks. And some are already in need of strategies for how best to navigate workplace experiences unique to women of colour.
This is not about about optics, this is about meaningful impact and change. What are you waiting for?
What is the eligibility criteria to become a mentor?
The eligibility criteria to become a mentor includes that you self-identify as a Black woman, Indigenous woman or other woman of colour and have a minimum of five years of experience in business or tech. For more information refer to the Become a Mentor page.
I’m an active ally who is committed to racial and gender equity. How can I get involved?
We welcome active allies (of any gender or racial background) who are committed to advancing women of colour in the workplace and have a minimum 5 years of experience in business or tech. For more information refer to the Become a Mentor page.
What can I expect in return for participating as a mentor or ally?
We won’t be offering an honorarium or stipend. You can expect grow as an equitable leader by participating in our uniquely designed orientation and program that embeds a racial and gender equity lens, grow your professional network, and learn about the unique experience of early-career women of colour. Most importantly, together we are building a community with and for early-career women of colour to be future leaders in the workplace.
How should I apply as a mentor or ally?
Mentors and allies complete the same application. Click on the “Apply Now” buttons on the Become a Mentor page and you will be directed to the application.
What types of questions does the application include?
The application is made to be user-friendly for mentors and allies. It includes a combination of basic demographic, applicant profile and open-ended questions to better understand your background, experience and perspectives about AHF’s mission, mentorship and allyship, and commitment to advancing women of colour in workplaces.
What is the AHF team looking for when they review my application?
Mentors and allies will be selected based on our program goals and needs of our early-career fellows. If we are not able to find a suitable match or role within our Winter Fellowship Circle, we will keep your details in our database for future cohorts. We appreciate your generosity and interest in our programming!
What is a mentor's commitment in AHF’s Fellowship Circle?
AHF’s Winter Fellowship Cohort will run virtually over 10-weeks, January 21 – March 25, Thursdays, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm EST. Mentors commit to building trust and relationships with Fellows and are required to attend a training session and bi-weekly small-mentorship circles throughout the program.
What is an ally's commitment in AHF’s Fellowship Circle?
AHF’s Winter Fellowship Cohort will run virtually over 10-weeks, January 21 – March 25, Thursdays, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm EST. Allies are required to attend a training session and will be invited to participate in interactive sessions, discussion groups, panel and/or networking session.
How many times per year will AHF’s Fellowship Circle run?
AHF’s Fellowship Circle will run twice in 2021. Our first cohort is planned for Winter (January – March). There is an application period prior to each offering. Keep an eye out on our website for announcements, or better yet, subscribe to our mailing list.
Can I participate in a future Fellowship Circle as a mentor or ally?
Absolutely. We welcome mentors and allies who are passionate about our mission and making an active difference in the careers and lives of our fellows. You can indicate your participation frequency and interest in the mentor or ally application.
I’m interested in having my company become a corporate partner. Who should I contact at AHF?
We’d love that. You can email us at email@example.com or go to the Become a Partner tab under Get Involved to submit a message.